Sunday, August 8, 2010

Real Men Eat Pink Pancakes




Last year was our first year participating in a CSA share (Community Supported Agriculture) (from Plato’s Harvest – Middleboro, MA) & we wasted a lot of food, because we either didn’t know how to cook it, or didn’t think we’d like it. This led to a lot of google searches for recipes & the trying of more & more foods. Our next hurdle came about 6 months ago when my son (then 2 1/2) started being a lot more picky about what he ate, i.e. – not wanting veggies!! UGH, he’d always been a great eater, anything we put in front of him, he’d try & love. So, I buy “Deceptively Delicious” by Jessica Seinfeld for some creative options. One of the very first recipes that piqued my interest was “pink pancakes”, P.143 (Deceptively Delicious). Beets, one of the main items we wasted last year, because we really didn’t think we’d like or didn’t know what to do with them. Well, now we had our answer. So, this year, we roasted up our beets & pureed them & got to work. Now, I say this started with the Deceptively Delish recipe, which I changed slightly to make even more healthy for my family. I will first give you Jessica Seinfeld’s recipe & then give you mine:

Recipe for “Pink Pancakes” from Jessica Seinfeld’s book “Deceptively Delicious” copyright 2007

(with Beet)

* 3/4 cup water

* 1/2 cup ricotta cheese

* 1/4 cup beet puree

*1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

* 1 cup pancake mix

* 1/4 cup grated apple

* Nonstick cooking spray

* 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil

* Pure maple syrup or fruit for serving

1 In a blender or food processor, combine the water, ricotta cheese, beet puree, vanilla, and cinnamon and blend. Dump the mixture into a medium bowl, add the pancake mix and apple, and stir until just combined. Do not overmix – the batter will be a little lumpy.

2 Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil. Spoon the batter onto the griddle or skillet, using about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook the pancakes until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, 1 to 2 minutes. Then flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with syrup, or fruit.

NOW HERE ARE MY CHANGES:

* I use “Bisquik” wheat pancake mix(or I make my own)

* I DO NOT use ricotta cheese (you don’t need it)

* I use blueberries if I have them fresh.

* I use Agave nectar in place of the vanilla (sometimes I use both)

* I use cinammon, or a nice little trick – apple pie spice

* I also don’t use the oil, I either just use the cooking spray, or the cooking spray w/a tiny bit of vegetable spread (or margarine, or butter – whatever you prefer)

Cook, eat & enjoy!! My boys love them & so do I!!

No comments:

Post a Comment